Saturday, December 2, 2006

Burned

Lastnight after Ryan got home from work I went over to Nordstrom's for a little "me time". After a long night of jeans shopping (which we all know can be quite exhausting), I returned home fully expecting to find my little home in perfect order. But not so, as I opened the door I got a waft of something totally unnatural. Everyone was already asleep--something had gone terribly wrong. Ryan woke up just long enough to explain that he had burned some popcorn. Apparently, he did not notice either the button that says "Popcorn" on the microwave, OR the instructions that say "4 minutes OR UNTIL YOU NO LONGER HEAR POPPING".
I was not aware of the extent of the incident until this morning when I began to uncover telling clues to the atrocity that had occurred. The witness: The first words out of Kayla's mouth this morning were "Daddy burnt the popcorn". She seemed rather disturbed by the whole event. The Scene of the Crime: Upon opening the microwave door to heat some milk for the baby it was clear that it probably needs to be fumigated. While preparing some cereal for Kayla I found a small blackened kernal that had strayed under the stove top--poor little guy. My light blue melamine bowl was sitting sadly in the sink marred with char. As I went to wash the breakfast dishes I noted some suspicious brown stains on my kitchen sponge--had he even attempted to cover up the scene of the crime? It has now been 12 hours and we are STILL battling the aroma or "aftermath", if you will. I can't wait to see what little bits of evidence turn up next!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I'm sitting in the UNT College of Education computer lab doing the quiet laugh - you know, the one where you're trying to be inconspicuous, but becuase of your bouncing shoulders and convulsing body - oh, and tears - you become even more conspicuous than if you just let out one loud but short gafaw. Needles to say, pictures say a thousand words - if not for that, wouldn't be near as funny. I love that Ryan tried to cover it up - Ryan's first thoughts...not "Darn, I burnt my popcorn" but, "Oh man, Lia's gonna be so mad" But at least he left the evidence out for us all to enjoy!